Nihi Sumba

Indonesia (Asia & Oceania)


Nihi Sumba (formerly Nihiwatu) is a luxury retreat by Chris Burch on the remote Indonesian island of Sumba, voted as the world’s best hotel for two years consecutively. The resort offers an extensive wellness programme in addition to its cultural activities. From the lush villa lawns to the pristine beach, this secluded haven is a natural, tropical beauty ideal for solo travellers, couples and guests. Each bespoke itinerary at this wellbeing sanctuary is catered to your every wellness need, from sunrise yoga to embarking on adventurous surf lessons at the coconut-clad shores. Guests can choose to hike in the nearby local villages for a taste of Indonesian culture to evening massages overlooking the pristine Indian ocean coastline.

Read our review here

Check availability

Enquire Now

  • Accommodation
  • Food
  • Things To Do

Nihi Sumba resort is an eco-hotel which supports the local Sumbanese people, culture and traditions while still maintaining an internationally recognised five-star luxury standard.

Each room is laid with crisp white bed linens on the stunning canopy beds overlooking panoramic views of the Indian ocean.

Accommodation ranges from one-bedroom villas, perfect for couples and solo travellers, to a six-villa Mendaka estate at the heart of the resort, designed with large families and groups of friends in mind.

Rates include all meals, accommodation, non-alcoholic drinks, local excursions, wi-fi and many sea activities. 

With produce grown in their own on-site organic garden and locally caught fresh fish daily, Nihi Sumba provides consistent quality with a menu which changes every day. Preferring open fires to toasters and working exclusively with the freshest flavours, Nihi’s expert chefs create an exciting dining experience you’ll never tire of.

Ombak is the main restaurant and bar lounge, offering a la carte breakfast and dinner daily. The casual open-air restaurant features a deck over the ocean, and includes special dining experiences like barbecues and private dining areas at The Nest: perfect for romantic or intimate meals.

The Nio Beach Club is the ideal spot for lunch, with its beachside location and open-aired pavilions. The menu offers an eclectic variety of fresh dishes, including the daily special rotisserie and freshly made pizzas in a wood-fired clay oven. Lunch and snacks can also be served poolside, which gives stunning views of the ocean, sunsets and the legendary Occy’s Left wave.

Kaboku is a Japanese restaurant offering a gastronomic omakase seven-course experience with the freshest ingredients prepared by Japanese masterchefs.

  • Chocolate plantation and factory workshops
  • Horse riding
  • Waterfall treks
  • Village visits
  • Surfing
  • Private boat charter

payment policy

  • All rates are in USD and exclusive of the 11% government tax and 10% service charge.
  • A 25% deposit is required at the time of booking, and the remaining 75% must be paid three months before arrival.
2 Retreats Found
November 23, 2024 | 4 nights / 5 days

4-Night NIHI Sumba Retreat & Conquer

Nihi Sumba
Join Retreat & Conquer for a life-changing experience amidst the stunning landscapes of NIHI Sumba. Discover the transformative power...
Learn More
This retreat will take place from November 23rd to November 27th 2024. THE SHOWN PRICE IS FOR THE 4-NIGHT RETREAT—PLEASE CONTACT OUR TEAM REGARDING A LONGER STAY
price per retreat from US$10,000
3 nights / 4 days

3-Night Nihi Sumba Yoga Experience

Nihi Sumba
Nihi Sumba is a luxury retreat on the remote Indonesian island of Sumba, voted as the world’s best hotel for two years consecutivel...
Learn More
The shown price is for the 3-night stay—please contact our team regarding a longer stay
price per retreat from US$2,250


Nusa Tenggara Tim, Hoba Wawi, Wanokaka, Hoba Wawi, Wanokaka, Kabupaten Sumba Barat, Nusa Tenggara Tim., Indonesia

Still a relatively undiscovered destination on Indonesia’s traditional tourist trail itinerary, the unspoilt island of Sumba is home to lush rainforest and has been designated an ecozone for its exceptional variety of flora and fauna. Only an hour’s flight from Bali, the resort is a 90-minute drive through mountain and jungle from Tambolaka airport. The nearest airport to the resort is Tambolaka Airport, an hour and fifteen-minute flight from Denpasar International Airport in Bali, where all international flights to Sumba are routed through. Hotel staff will greet you upon check-in at Denpasar, escort you onto the plane and collect you upon arrival for the 90-minute drive to the resort.

Nusa Tenggara Tim, Hoba Wawi, Wanokaka, Hoba Wawi, Wanokaka, Kabupaten Sumba Barat, Nusa Tenggara Tim., Indonesia